Wednesday, August 6, 2008

17 Years Ago Today...

Well, I get to write 2 birthday posts in 1 week! Today we are celebrating Joel's 17th Birthday! It really seems like yesterday that he came into this world and blessed our lives. Joel FINALLY (after 16 weeks of bedrest) was born August 6th, 1991 at 4:05pm. It took him 24 hours total to arrive...16 hours of Pitocin, 4 hours of real labor, 3 hours of pushing and finally a c-section....He had dark skin, dark eyes, dark hair, and a horrible "dark" bruise on his head. He was 7lbs 6oz and 21 1/2 inches. By the time Joel was born, my entire family (I mean entire) was waiting in the waiting room. A dear friend who was on duty during most of my labor had told the 2nd shift to be sure and let my family come in as soon as possible since they had been waiting for so long (I think she meant my mom and dad). Well, the nurse did as she was told and let my entire family join us in the recovery room. My grandparents, parents, sister, sister-in-laws...you name it, they were there. Luckily they were all focused on Joel since the nurse's were still cleaning me up! So much for privacy! lol
Joel had trouble with his bilirubin and had to stay at the hospital for 6 days. Since I had a c-section, the doc was able to milk it a little and I got to stay for 4 days. The hardest day of my life (up to that point) was the day I had to leave the hospital and leave Joel there. I cried all the way home. Luckily, we weren't home long when the hospital called and said we could stay in an empty room until he was ready to come home.
I think he is about 3 months here. He was so stinkin' cute...When he was 3 months old I had to work for a short time and I would just sit and stare at his picture on my desk. It was pitiful! Luckily, I was able to start babysitting at home to make a little extra money and stay home with Joel.
He always looked like such a little man...(Imagine him with long hair and a pink dress...who would he look like?)Joel is about 2 here. He was so soft spoken and sweet. He was always a big helper and liked to clean up the family room...he still does this today....This is Joel in 1995 (age 4). He was the ring bearer at one of my best high school friend's (Dawn) wedding. He was such a little gentleman all night long. The first day of Kindergarten...1997...I have to admit, I always thought this day would break my heart, but he was so excited to go, it didn't hurt so bad!This is 2nd grade basketball. I think this is the year he shot a basket in the opponents goal and scored 2 for them....he was pretty embarrassed!!!4th of July 2000...End of 2nd grade and the proud new owner of glasses. We had no idea how bad his eyesight was. His first exam showed him at 20/200. He walked out of the store amazed at what he could see with his new spectacles. It was the first time he noticed that trees had individual leaves...not just 1 green blob!This is Joel's 5th grade travel football picture...no longer wearing those annoying glasses! Glasses just don't fit under a football helmet, and prescription goggles (which we paid $100 for) fogged up. So, we tried contacts....they were the perfect solution!This is fall 2003, 6th grade and first year of homeschool. He went through the "long hair" phase...this length was a compromise. Luckily, he outgrew the phase quickly! :) And yes...he has a mustache!I love this picture... aaarrgh! No more braces.... (Age 14)
Doing and Wearing what he loves most! (Age 15)

Fall 2007....Age 16My handsome son today...on his 17th birthday! He's very intently watching the Indianapolis Colts scrimmage! I'm so proud of the person he has become. He works very hard at everything he does and has accomplished alot for his age. He is currently working at Wal-Mart, attending Ivy Tech and playing basketball for the Indianapolis Homeschool Wildcats. He will soon be recieving his Eagle Scout award and High School Diploma! He has always been a blessing to me and being his mom has helped me to be a better person!
I love you Joel! Happy Birthday!

No comments: