Thursday, March 13, 2008

OH MY GOSH!!!....Joel is driving

2/21/08
Well, I've reached a new milestone in parenting! My firstborn has his driver's license. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Actually, I think I did both. The long awaited for day finally arrived and Joel woke up sick. We stopped at Shell to sweep the van and he grabbed a Sprite in hopes that his stomach would calm down!
We drove to the Ameriplex License Branch and he met up with the lady who was taking him out for a driving test. I had to giggle as I watched her struggle with the seatbelt. Anyone who has ridden in our van will understand. After a few minutes of impatiently waiting...looking out the window every 30 seconds to see if they were back...the trusty ole' van pulled into the parking lot...in one piece, luckily! Within minutes, Joel was the proud owner of a shiny new driver's license.
I have to say that I am really proud of him. He trys really hard to make good choices and really is a pretty good driver. One of his friends called him while he was driving last night, and he told her he would call her back when he got home! I wish a few adults on the road would put their phones away while their driving! Some people really scare me! I've made a deal with him that if he makes it to age 21 without an accident, that I will give him $2000. I'm guessing it's a safe bet on my part, but honestly, I would be thrilled to pay out if he wins!

3 comments:

David, Joy, Harley, Oakley & Maverick said...

What an incentive! I bet Joel makes it to 21! I'm not looking forward to my little one getting a license. She still can't even walk straight, those walls jump out at her all the time, I can only imagine what a moving vehicle would do to her...

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Bryan Beat said...

I can't believe that Joel is old enough to drive. Way to go Joel! Jill, It was fun to hear from you on our blog!