Tuesday, July 29, 2008

15 Years Ago Today!

Happy Birthday Vincent!

Today is Vinnie's 15th birthday and I want to take a walk down memory lane. Well, I've already cried going through all the pictures and unfortunately my scanner will not work tonight, so I will have to make do with the pictures of pictures that I took with my digital camera. Hopefully I can scan the originals in soon!
On July 29th 1993 at 7:47 am, Vincent Paul Schroering made his way into the world. My first delivery (Joel) which I will talk more about next week, was quite difficult and Vince came quite easily. He was a scheduled c-section and everything went like clockwork. The whole event was made much more enjoyable by a dear friend and very experienced labor and delivery nurse who assisted my doctor. The above picture is the first time I remember seeing Vince and all I could think is "Oh my gosh...he's huge! Well, he was pretty big. 9lbs. 8oz. to be exact and 21 1/2 inches. He was beautiful. He had a little trouble keeping his body temperature up, so they had to take him to the nursery right away. A little later, we got settled in our room and much to my surprise, I was able to get out of bed all by myself. Considering it took me over 24 hours the 1st time, this was awesome! It didn't even hurt that bad. Finally we got to have Vince with us and we just had a great time snuggling him and visiting with lots of friends and family. For some reason, we even got to talk to my sister that day who was on a mission in Spain. Around noon that day, I got a call from my brother who was living in Wisconsin. I thought he was calling to see how things went and so I just went on telling him all of the details. When I finally finished, he said "well, we had a girl today!" I thought for sure he was pulling my leg because his wife wasn't due for 6 weeks, but sure enough, their daughter was born about 2 hours after Vince. The funny thing is, she is teeny tiny and well, Vince is not! :) They make quite a match for birthday twins.
It was so cute when Joel who was just about to turn 2 came to visit. He was so excited and loved his brother so much. After Joel had visited for awhile, Rich took him for a walk. While they were gone, I moved Vince from his bassinet to my bed with me. When Joel came back, he had a little panic attack because Vince was not in his bed and he thought he was gone. It was so cute. It was cool to see how quickly he fell in love with him.
Vinnie was always such a snuggly baby and very content and happy. We noticed that his sense of humor developed VERY early and he was very silly.
4th of July 1995

About this time in Vinnie's life, my mom decided to start a Vinnie Quotables book. There are tons, but here's a favorite...
Vinnie was 2 1/2 and we were staying in a hotel room in Chicago with my parents. 4 adults and 2 kids were a crowd and on top of it, Vince decided 1st thing in the morning to jump on the bed. I kept trying to get him to stop and all he could say was
"when I wake up, I be wild!"
We laughed so hard that I don't think I ever made him quit jumping!


Vince had the great idea to be Mr. Potatoe Head....Feb 1996


Some things never change. He would give anything for a Yamaha Grizzley today! Summer 1996


Easter 1997


10 years ago today! Vinnies 5th birthday. He loved the choo choo train cake! And the octopus pinata that we made together.


His favorite year of baseball...The Braves! Minor League Champions! Age 7



He went through a phase where he wore this silver chain everyday! This is 2nd grade!






Not his favorite year of football, but isn't he a cutie? age 9




Badlands, SD June 2005 (almost 12). This boy has always loved dandelions and I swear he can find one (dead or alive) anywhere and anytime of the year. He had a book in kindergarten about dandelions and it said that some people thought dandelions were weeds. He was so mad...he said "dandelions are not weeds!" Sadly, that awesome green polo shirt was ruined later on that day...

14th Birthday....1 year ago...

June 2008.....NO MORE BRACES!!!!!

Here's Vince today! My handsome, funny, smart kid who really hasn't changed one bit except going from 21.5 inches to 6'1''! He still makes me laugh, loves cars and 4 wheelers and eventhough he doesn't snuggle like he used too, he still has that tender heart that I love so much!
Happy Birthday Vinnie! I love you!!!!